Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"The Hindu" article on Kallidaikurichi Vendanta Bhagavatar

Here is the link to Sriram V's article on Kallidaikurichi Vendanta Bhagavatar
http://www.thehindu.com/fr/2009/02/27/stories/2009022750200300.htm

As noted by the author of the article, Vendanta Bhagavatar trained under Vasudevanallur Subbiah Bhagavatar to learn advanced aspects of carnatic music. In his anecdotes, Subbiah Bhagavatar notes that Vendanta Bhagavatar was one the first "kathAkAlakshepam" exponents who popularized Gopalakrishna Bharati's "nandan charitram" by choosing it as the primary theme for his "kathAkAlakshepam" rendition. In those days, this was considered controversial since, "harikathA" was by far the most chosen theme.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sankar,
    My name is Vimala Devi.i am so much excited to see your blog.Your father used to come to Neyvli to teach me veena. That was in between 1970 and 1972. My native place is Kadapa in A.P. he attended my marriage also. Once he came to Kadapa and stayed in my house for 10 days.
    He was a great noble teacher. During those two years he took only 30 classes for me. He used to come to neyveli whenever he used to find time. Sometimes once is two months or six months.
    In those 30 classes he taught me 40 krithis. He said he will teach me mandhrmam and said he has one book for thanam " katakam".
    But in 1972 I got married and lost touch with him. Now I am in Hyderabad. I am still practicing veena. I feel great honoured to be called as student of Sri Gomathi Shakara Iyyer.
    Sir, do you have that thanam book written by him? If so can I get it by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I am expecting reply from Mr. Sankar.

    ReplyDelete